Sometimes there are things photographers wish their clients knew! I thought it would be fun to make a top 10 list of common things I wish all couples knew! Enjoy!
10 Things Your Wedding Photographer Wants You to Know
- I don’t expect you to know how to pose. One thing almost every couple tells me is that they don’t know how to pose. I never expect my couples to know how to pose, where to put their hands, or what to do. I love walking my couples through this, and helping them become comfortable in front of the camera.
- I don’t feel comfortable in front of the camera either! Yup, I totally relate to what you are feeling! Maybe that’s why I try to walk you through every single step and adjustment. If it were me, I would want to feel confident and look as good as possible (don’t we all?), so I try to give that to my couples.
- Engagement sessions are so important. I love meeting and working with the bride and groom before their wedding day. Wedding days can be fast-paced, and sometimes stressful. On the other hand, engagement sessions are the perfect time to get to know each other! It’s also a great time for you to get more comfortable in front of the camera, and learn some of the posing I teach the couples I work with.
- I love helping you with planning- ask away! So many details of the day will be picked up on the camera! Brides ask me about the color of their dress, the centerpieces, the timeline, and so much more! I love providing input from a photographer’s perspective. Sometimes, it doesn’t make a difference to the camera, and sometimes it does. I always do my best to give an honest assessment. I also love helping craft the perfect wedding day timeline for a relaxed day.
- The only time I won’t take pictures is during dinner. Most people don’t like having their picture taken. But, no one wants their picture taken while they are chomping on dinner. 🙂 During this time of day, I will also eat dinner, and will usually sit down for the very first time on wedding day. It’s the perfect time to rest while everyone is eating, and get ready to photograph the reception!
- I deliver all of the best images. I capture a mix of portraits and candids on your big day, and then deliver all of the good ones. I try not to deliver a million images of the same thing, and I try to capture and deliver all of the images I would have wanted if it were my big day.
- It makes my day when my couples have unplugged wedding ceremonies. People don’t always follow the rules, but most people will. It does make a difference in your ceremony portraits. It certainly makes it easier for me to capture beautiful ceremony images!
- Beautiful location doesn’t equal beautiful images. It can be a bit overwhelming when a bride comes to me with a list of locations. I’m sure it’s a little underwhelming when I deliver the images to her and they don’t all have the bright, classic look she’s used to seeing on my website. I search out locations based on their lighting. A location may seem pretty to the naked eye, but it may not produce the light and airy images you are searching for.
- A kind review and word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me. When I see that you’ve taken time out of your chaotic newlywed schedule to write me a review, I am seriously SO thankful. It also touches me when someone writes to me because a bride or mother of the bride referred me from their big day. That’s the biggest and best compliment I could receive!!
- Print your photos. My clients have a print release to their images, so this isn’t a ploy to make money with prints. I just really believe you should print your wedding photos, frame them, and put them up on the wall! It’s your love story, and a reminder of how far you’ve come.
So, these are some things I wish every couple knew! I would say that if I’ve already shot your wedding, you know all of these!! But, if you just got engaged, or you just booked me as your wedding photographer, I hope this provides some insight into what your photographer is thinking! 🙂 Happy planning!
Read more related blog posts!
TIPS FOR STUNNING GETTING READY IMAGES
WEDDING DAY DETAILS | LOUISVILLE KY WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
HOW TO INCLUDE YOUR DOG IN YOUR ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS
10 TIPS TO HELP YOU NAIL THE WEDDING DAY TIMELINE